Chapter 2: The Good Boy

As the seemingly endless rounds of testing began, I contemplated my former life and tried desperately to fathom my current state of affairs. I decided to do my best to relive all that I could remember, hoping that my attention deficit would not sidetrack me, midstream, into another voyage of fantasy. I’m not sure if I remained awake throughout… but my recollections went something like this:

My parents. Two of the most solid citizens one could ever hope to meet. Jakob and Sally (actually, Valentina, but she was never called that) were immigrants: refugees from war-torn Europe. Both had been born in Western Russia, but they had not met one another until they were in high school. Arriving in America with their families, neither had learned the English language before they started school here… both were taunted, teased and ridiculed for their thick accents and apparent ignorance.

It was not long before they began to distinguish themselves as individuals. Papa was a genius with mechanical and electrical things. From a very early age he could fix any small motor, radio, or other device he touched. Eventually this earned him the nickname “Midas” for people began to believe his touch was magical. Similarly, Mama was very handy and capable, in all the ways a woman was expected to be. She could sew, cook, get stains out of fine linens, and danced with the grace of a prima ballerina. It was a pleasure to watch her move: she never seemed to be off-balance. Never stumbled, never gave any indication of clumsiness. I often wondered if her daughter, my sister would have inherited that special sort of gracefulness.

In addition to his technical abilities, my father excelled athletically. He had what they call an "eidetic memory", which served him remarkably well on the football field, as he could instantly recall any play he’d ever learned. It is not surprising, then, that he was captain of the football team in his senior year… the year he met the love of his life: my mother. He often claimed that it was “love at first sight”, although mama blushed and scoffed when she’d hear him say this.

Sally had just moved to town, her mother having chosen to take the children and come to live with an older sister when her husband was killed in a mining accident. Due to the circumstances, Sally was dressed in black, including well-worn gloves whose fingertips had been mended dutifully by the girl who wore them. She was beautiful, sad, and quiet. Her cousins worried about her shy demeanor, so they thought it would be good for her to join them as they went to support the Eagles, their school’s team, who were set to play the Cougars in the first game of the season. After a bit of feeble protest, she acquiesced and threw herself into the preparations, which included packing a basket with sandwiches and fruit for their evening out.

The teams were already on the field when Sally and her cousins arrived, and she marveled at the size of the players. Although they were mere high school boys, their protective gear made them seem huge… like men. She paused to contemplate the differences between their images in the halls and classrooms of school, and what she saw before her. While she was lost, deep in thought, the football bounced on the ground nearby, and she suddenly found herself perilously close to the action. Looking up, her eyes met those of her future husband… as the whistle was blown and the team huddled to plan their next move. “C’mon, Jake!” she heard someone call… “she’ll still be there after the game!”

But they were wrong. After the game he had looked for her everywhere, but she had been nowhere to be found. Later he was told that her cousins had been called home from the game early because their mother was in labor, giving birth to twins. Sally, of course, had gone with them. He was disappointed, but determined to see her again. It was not difficult to see that he was smitten… and would let nothing stand in his way.

By Thanksgiving, Sally and Jakob were inseparable. Although one or more of their siblings, aunts or cousins was always sent along to chaperone, they went everywhere they could together. Both hurried through their chores so that they could have more time to spend with the object of their affection. It was clear to all who knew them that these two were made for each other. Therefore it was no surprise when Jakob announced to all, over Christmas dinner, his hope that Sally would agree to marry him once the school year ended.

That is exactly what happened. It was a fairy tale romance and the wedding, though modest, was well-attended. Both families had grown extremely close, due to their common background and native tongue. Sally was dressed in traditional Russian bridal garb and Jakob beamed with pride as they were joined in holy matrimony. Their brief honeymoon was spent in a lakeside cottage provided by Sally’s uncle, and they wasted no time conceiving their first and only child, me.

Life was not easy for my parents when they first started out, but they made the best of the hand they were dealt and took comfort in the deep and abiding love they had for each other. Neither one ever had second thoughts or seemed to regret the decision to marry so young, nor did they mind that there had been no money for them to attend college. In fact, it was not long before they were able to move out of my grandparents’ house and into one of their own, due to the careful saving and frugal living they embraced. Papa repaired anything and everything in town, and mama brought in her fair share of income doing what she did best: baking wonderful pies and other desserts, sewing beautiful dresses for ladies from areas for miles around, and mending garments that still had far too much life left in them to be relegated to the status of rags.

They named me after my father’s brother, Mihail, who had died of scarlet fever at the tender age of five. I was always called “Misha,” which is a common Russian nickname. I can’t imagine a child feeling more loved or cared for… my early years were full of joy and laughter. Mama’s cousins made me toys to play with, and took me fishing with their children. Papa told me stories and showed me how things work. It was their greatest pleasure to introduce me to the things of this world. But I also knew that they had hoped to give me a sister or brother one day, too… something which apparently was just not meant to be. My mother had several miscarriages over the years, and my baby sister was stillborn when I was seven years old. I remember her hauntingly beautiful, delicate features… as my parents made certain I was given the opportunity to say goodbye to her.

I never missed the companionship they so longed to provide me with, however, because I had numerous cousins, as well as a few aunts and uncles who were close enough to my age for countless days and hours of childish fun. We romped through the woods and fields, chasing geese and racing on horseback… living a life that can only be enjoyed in the country. Occasionally there were spills, and sometimes a minor injury or two, but most of the time we were just fine.

The worst incident I can recall is when the horse I was riding (Shadow) was spooked by a snake in the woods, and reared up, throwing me to the ground. I don’t remember falling, nor do I remember leaving the woods: the next thing I knew, I was at home in my own bed, looking up at the anxious faces of my many family members. My head hurt like it had been split in two, but of course all I wanted to do was go find Shadow and see if we could hunt down that snake! I don’t remember anyone thinking very much of it… I certainly didn’t.

When I started school, I did my level best to follow in my father’s footsteps. I was not blessed with his photographic memory, but I could run fast and throw long passes. Before long, I was attracting my share of the girls. My cousins thought I should ask one of them out, but I was always so busy trying to keep up with chores, homework, and football practice… I did not see when I would have enough time to spend with someone. Besides, I kept hoping for that “perfect moment” that my parents had experienced. I wanted to have “love at first sight” too!

Chapter 3: Help!

1 Comments:

Blogger Sister Sunshine said...

Thanks for the compliments! The contest is just for fun. It's to see how many people can write a 50,000 word novel in one month. I've fallen way behind, so it would take a miracle for me to place...

In all fairness, the profile photo is almost ten years old. If you saw me in person, you probably wouldn't be able to recognize me based upon that particular shot of me!

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home