Chapter 4: She-Devil

I was ten years old when I first met Johanna. She had skinned knees, braids, loved to climb trees and catch frogs... the biggest tomboy you ever saw! And she could run faster than any of the boys, not only on flat ground: but up hills. Never saw anything like it. Some folks said she could outrun a horse, but the rest of us knew better. Besides, what self-respecting horse would have raced her anyway? All kidding aside, she was unquestionably one of a kind.

As the years wore on, she grew near and dear to all of us. But in a sisterly sort of way… I mean, none of us really thought of her as a WOMAN! Until she insisted on forcing us all to do so… and in a most embarrassingly bold manner, at that. There is no doubt about it, that girl had a lot of gall.

We had all gone down to the local swimmin’ hole, which was usually populated by at least a half dozen naked boys on a midsummer day. There was a rope we all liked to hang from and swing out, to drop off into the cool, clear water… and then climb back out to do it again. Over and over we’d snake our way up the old Cypress tree, grab the rope, whoop like Tarzan, and swing as far as we could before letting go.

One scorchingly hot day, we were all there, minding our own business, when along comes little Miss Johanna. We were in various scattered positions: on the tree, in the water, on the way from the water to go back up the tree again, and of course… nowhere near our clothing.

At first, we all just stopped, dead in our tracks, and stared at her. But then we were stunned to see her strip… down to nothing, like us. A few of the boys quickly jumped into the water so their “reaction” to her nudity would not be so obvious. Most of us, however, didn’t budge. Our mouths hung open as she ascended the tree, took hold of the rope, and swung out. She dropped into the water, then swam to the shore and sat upon a rock for what seemed like eternity.

Finally, she shook her wet head with a snort of derision, snatching up her clothes and stomping off down the path into the woods. None of us quite knew what to make of it… nor what to say. The absence of sound was deafening. Even the wildlife had fallen silent.

One thing was for certain, however: we never again thought of her as “one of the guys”!

Strangely enough, none of us ever discussed what had happened that day. In fact, over time, I wondered if I had just imagined the whole thing… it wasn’t ‘til years later, when another one of the guys mentioned it in passing, that I realized it HADN’T been one of my vivid fantasies. I wouldn’t have been surprised if it had been… but it didn’t fit the usual pattern of my visions. Those were usually unpopulated, other than by animal life.

Johanna was enigmatic in more ways than one. She delighted in strange and curious behavior, to the degree that she did her best to instigate situations that were out of the ordinary. More than once, she was rumored to have caused good friends to fight and then part ways. Therefore, the smart folks did their best to avoid her and her machinations. Sometimes, however, she was inescapable.

Every autumn our town had a “harvest festival” to show off the best of the crops and livestock. In addition, the local women displayed their handiwork in the form of quilts, pies and other baked goods. Johanna was no exception. In fact: she LIVED to bake. So it was no surprise, the year I turned sixteen, when she arrived with no less than TEN different offerings… each one more delectable than the last.

Unfortunately, the blue ribbon for best pie went to another wonderful baker. New to town, this pretty lady had entered the most beautiful cherry pie with a lattice crust… so pretty the judges had been hesitant to even cut it for tasting! My mama had been a bit disappointed, but had to agree that the newcomer’s pie was exquisite.

As they fawned over the pie and its baker, Miss Jenkins, Johanna fussed and fumed… eventually stomping away in one of her typical temper tantrums. No one would have ever imagined what was coming next. I wouldn’t believe it myself, if I had not seen it with my own two eyes!

While everyone was distracted with the baked goods competition, Johanna sauntered across the fairgrounds to the animal pens. She didn’t see me, because I was sittin’ up on a tree branch, where I enjoyed a wonderful view of all that transpired. Later, I was mighty glad I’d chosen to perch high above everyone and everything… but when I had originally climbed up there it had simply been to avoid the pestering of some of my younger cousins.

I saw her walking near the animals… but at first I didn’t think much of it. THEN… all of a sudden, there were animals EVERYWHERE! She was opening the gates! But she was so smooth about it, no one but me had seen what she was up to. And I wouldn’t have seen it myself if I hadn’t been up in that tree!

As the chaos grew, tables were overturned and ladies began to scream. Children ran ‘round in circles, confused about what they should do and largely unaware of the danger imposed by some of the larger critters. Because she had really gone all-out. There was not a single animal there that she had not let loose. The bulls, lambs, chickens, and rabbits all milled about… stirring up dust and sometimes taking a nip at one another. It was an amazing sight to behold.

I was too stunned to do anything. I just sat on my branch with my mouth hanging open, shaking my head. That girl was unbelievable. Trouble with a capital T! But even then I had no idea just how evil she could prove to be.
Chapter 5: Illusion

4 Comments:

Blogger John Hamre said...

Great writing Sister. You got me hooked. When is the next chapter coming?

Johnny

12:16 PM  
Blogger Sister Sunshine said...

Thanks. I'm kinda stalled... gotta get my butt in gear & get moving on this thing!

12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's coming along pretty well!! Can't wait to read the rest. I hoping this comment will post. Ha i've seriously tried to reply a billion times to an earlier entry and it wont let me :) ~the other one

1:43 AM  
Blogger Sister Sunshine said...

Thanks! Sorry you've been having trouble posting. I guess I should install haloscan over here...

8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home